2 months ago
Turkey Minestrone Soup
This soup is the perfect way to make a second meal of your holiday turkey.
Preparation time: 2 hours
- 1 meaty turkey carcass
- 10 cups water
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can great northern beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup broken uncooked spaghetti
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen Italian green beans
- In large Dutch oven, combine first 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Remove meat and bones from broth; cool. Remove turkey meat from bones; discard bones. Chop turkey into bite-sized pieces. Strain broth; return broth and turkey to Dutch oven.
- Stir in next 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in spaghetti and green beans; continue cooking until potatoes and pasta are tender (about 10 minutes).