Party Sandwich Loaf
Luncheon fare...perfect for showers.
- Trim crust from 1 (1 1/2 pound) loaf unsliced sandwich bread. With sharp knife cut loaf into 4 equal horizontal slices. Use a ruler or wooden picks to keep slices even. Spread 3 slices with soft butter. Place one slice bread on serving platter; spread evenly with one of the fillings (below). Top with second slice of bread; spread evenly with a different filling. Top with third slice bread; spread evenly with a different filling. Top with remaining slice bread. Gently shape up loaf with hands to make sides even. Remove any oozing fillings. Beat 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese with 1/2 cup milk or cream until fluffy. Add a few drops food coloring (optional). Frost top and sides of loaf with cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate loaf until frosting has set up (about 30 minutes). Cover loosely with plastic wrap, using wooden picks to keep wrap from touching frosting. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- To Serve: Garnish with olive slices, parsley and radish roses. Cut into 1 inch slices
- Combine 4 hard-cooked eggs (finely chopped), 2 tablespoons minced ripe olives, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard, dash pepper and 3 tablespoons mayonnaise.
- Combine 3/4 cup ground cooked ham or luncheon meat, 2 tablespoons minced breen bell pepper, 1 tablespoon minced onion, 1 teaspoon prepared mustard and 1/4 cup mayonnaise.
- Combine 1 (6 1/2-7 1/2 ounce) can seafood (drained and flaked or chopped), 1 tablespoon snipped parsley, 1 tablespoon snipped chives, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, dash pepper and 1/4 cup mayonnaise.
- Combine 3/4 cup ground cooked chicken (1/4 pound), 1/4 cup minced celery, 2 tablspoons sweet pickle relish, 1/4 teaspoon salt, dash pepper and 3 tablespoons mayonnaise.
Egg Salad Filling:
Ham Salad Filling:
Seafood Salad Filling:
Chicken Salad Filling:
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.