Local Summer Squash on the Grill
Summer in Minnesota is the time to enjoy two things: sunshine and local produce. Homegrown zucchini is crisp and bursting with flavor — and because it hasn’t travelled long distances to reach your kitchen counter, it’s at its nutritional peak, too. Same with local, fresh-off-the-vine tomatoes. They’re juicy, plump and packed full of phytonutrients. (You don’t have to tell your kids that, of course. Just let them be dazzled by the amazing taste.)
Flavor and nutrition aren’t the only things this easy side dish has going for it. It’s super simple to prepare alongside a grilled main like chicken or pork. The zucchini boats are brushed with oil, lightly seasoned and cooked until charred and tender. Then they’re filled with a mix of tomatoes, pesto and L&B Parmigiano-Reggiano. Vegetarian? Turn the zucchini boats into a satisfying main by tossing white beans in with the tomatoes.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 tomatoes, diced (approximately 2 cups)
2 tablespoons organic pesto sauce
2 tablespoons L&B Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
3 organic zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil, organic
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- To prepare the filling, place diced tomatoes in a bowl. Add pesto and L&B Parmigiano-Reggiano. Toss to coat the tomatoes. Set aside.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Trim the stem ends off the zucchini and slice each one lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scrape the seeded pulp out of each zucchini half to form a hollow shell. Brush both sides of each zucchini half with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Turn the grill down to medium-high and place the zucchini halves on the grill cut-side down; grill for 6 to 8 minutes, or until each one is tender yet slightly firm. Remove the zucchini halves from the grill and place them in a baking dish, hollow side up.
- Divide the tomato filling between the zucchini halves. Return the zucchini to the grill cut-side up to warm for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Optional: Sprinkle with more grated Parmigiano-Reggiano right before serving
This recipe is brought to you by Nourish, our guide to eating a variety of whole foods that expand your palate, give you more energy and help you live a balanced life. If you love it, check out the entire Nourish collection.