Liz's Cranberry Cake
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 3 tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon chopped orange zest
- Warm Butter Sauce, (recipe below)
A traditional dessert - simple and delicious.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 9-inch round baking pan with no stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk, butter, egg and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes (batter will be stiff). Fold in cranberries and orange peel. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (about 40 minutes). Cool 20 minutes on cooling rack. Remove cake from pan. Serve with Warm Butter Sauce.
- Warm Butter Sauce: In small saucepan, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Stir in 1 cup sugar, 1 cup heavy whipping cream and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until sugar dissolves (about 2 minutes). Remove pan from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon chopped orange peel. Sauce may be made 2-3 days ahead and refrigerated. In microwavable container, reheat sauce (HIGH) until warm (1-2 minutes), stirring twice.
- FoodE Tip: Frozen cranberries may be substituted for fresh. Completely thaw in the refrigerator and pat dry between paper towels before using.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.