6 years ago
Healthy Asparagus Pesto
A delicious, flavorful twist on traditional pesto, and a great way to use fresh asparagus during the spring.
4-6 servings (about 1 ½ cups)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch segments
1 clove garlic (or more to taste)
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup olive oil, or more as desired
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Juice of ½ lemon (or to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it.
- Add the asparagus and cook until fully tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well, reserving some of the cooking liquid, and let the asparagus cool slightly.
- Transfer the asparagus to a food processor; add the garlic, pine nuts, 2 tablespoons of the oil, Parmesan, a pinch of salt and a couple of tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- Process the mixture, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container if necessary, and gradually add the remaining oil and a bit more of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten if necessary.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste; pulse one last time and serve over pasta, fish or chicken (or cover and refrigerate for up to a day).
Recipe source: New York Times