In this classic sandwich, the Swiss cheese, corned beef, sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing are in the perfect ratio, making it meat- and sauerkraut-forward with just enough dressing and cheese to moisten each bite — but not so much that you can’t take this sandwich on the go. It won’t fall apart! And this might sound silly, but we love that this sandwich isn’t too thick. It’s very biteable, which makes all the difference in a sandwich with a drippy, delicious dressing.
It’s full of different textures and flavors, but it’s easy to bite through without making a mess.
1. Spread 2 tsp unsalted butter on 1 slice of rye bread. Flip the bread and spread 1 ½ Tbsp L&B Thousand Island Dressing on the other side. Repeat with a second slice of bread.
2. On one slice of bread, layer 1 ½ slices Swiss cheese, 3 slices corned beef, ⅓ cup drained sauerkraut, 1 ½ more slices of Swiss cheese and the second slice of bread, dressing side down.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Place the sandwich in the skillet and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
4. Repeat to make one more sandwich.
5. Slice sandwiches in half and serve warm with your favorite pickles and kettle chips.