- In a separate bowl, pour the boiling water over the Nabisco All-Bran.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar, and add the beaten eggs and buttermilk.
- Add the Kellogg's All-Bran, flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix.
- Fold in the soaked Nabisco bran. At this point, the batter may be refrigerated in a tightly covered container for up to 6 weeks. If desired, spoon out into greased muffin tins before breakfast and bake.
- Fill greased muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes. Makes 30 muffins.
Recipe Adjustments for Breakfast Bran Muffins:
Select diet; follow recipe using substitutions below.
Reduced Sodium: Omit salt. 156 mg sodium per serving.
Reduced Cholesterol: Use 1/2 cup Eggbeaters in place of eggs. 4 mg cholesterol per muffin.
Reduced Calorie: No change.
Diabetic Exchange (for original recipe): 1 starch exchange & 1 fat exchange per serving.