Xi'an Famous Foods Ramen
- 1 package dried instant ramen and seasoning packet (any brand)
- ½ tablespoon malt vinegar, plus more to finish
- Xi’an Famous Foods Chili Oil (or your favorite chili oil), to taste
- ¼ large tomato, roughly cut into wedges
- ¼ green onion, trimmed and chopped
- ¼ stalk celery, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 baby bok choy or ½ cup Napa cabbage, torn into bite-size pieces
- Toasted sesame oil, to finish
- Kosher salt, to finish
Bring a medium-size pot of water to a boil.
Meanwhile, add half the ramen seasoning packet (or as much as you desire based on your sodium preference) to a large soup bowl. Add the malt vinegar and season with chili oil. Stir to combine.
Once the water starts boiling, add the instant ramen noodles and wait until the water comes back to a boil.
Add the tomatoes, green onions and celery to the pot and stir to submerge the vegetables. Quickly move the noodles and vegetables aside, creating a pocket of space, and crack the egg into the boiling water. Poach the egg for 1 minute. You could also fry the egg separately, sunny-side up, if preferred.
Add the bok choy or Napa cabbage. Cook for up to 1 minute, then remove from heat.
Carefully ladle some of the cooking water into your soup bowl with the dry seasoning, malt vinegar and chili oil. This will determine how much broth your ramen will have.
Transfer the noodles to the soup bowl, mixing with chopsticks or a fork until evenly combined.
Strain the egg and vegetables from the pot and place them on top of the noodles.
Finish with a few drops of toasted sesame oil, and season with salt, additional chili oil and malt vinegar.
Try our recipe for Xi'an Famous Foods Chili Oil