Winter Breakfast Grain Bowl
We love this breakfast bowl for so many reasons, chief among them its textures. There’s chewy farro, toasty walnuts, sweet roasty tomato bits, hearty sausage, creamy avocado and crispy kale. The mushrooms are umami-rich and meaty, so much so that you could skip the sausage if you want.
The sun-dried tomato is wonderful — it adds so much richness and depth to the mix. The fried egg is phenomenal, but a poached egg would be great, too. The farro is bursting with flavor because it simmers with onion, orange zest, fresh rosemary and beef broth. It’s the kind of dish you want to stuff in your face, but it also makes you feel healthy. Kids give it two thumbs up, too.
That’s all to say, everything is working in this substantial, stick-to-your-bones breakfast, and we recommend making it all season long.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons L&B Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
¼ medium white onion, small diced
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Zest of 1 orange
1 cup farro, rinsed
1 ½ cups beef broth
1 cup water
¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
¼ cup toasted walnuts
3 ½ ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced into ½-inch pieces
3 ½ ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
1 garlic clove, grated
1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed and roughly chopped
8 ounces L&B Fresh All-Natural Breakfast Sausage
4 large L&B Eggs
1 avocado, sliced
- Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven, and heat the oven to 400 F.
- In a medium pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté until softened, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the rosemary, orange zest and farro and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add broth and water, bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, until the farro is cooked through and the water has been absorbed.
- Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and walnuts and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, add the mushrooms, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine. Add the seasoned mushrooms to the hot baking sheet, spread in an even layer and roast for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the kale, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- After the mushrooms have roasted for 10 minutes, stir the mushrooms and push them to one side of the baking sheet. Spread the seasoned kale on the other side of the baking sheet, and roast for another 10 to 12 minutes or until the vegetables are browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, cook the breakfast sausage over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, until well browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Transfer the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same skillet and remaining oil from the sausage, cook 4 eggs over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes to over-easy, or as desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the farro mixture, mushrooms, kale, sausage, eggs and avocado between 4 bowls. Enjoy hot!