Wild Rice Soup with Ham
- 6 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- ½ cup finely grated carrots
- ⅓ cup minced ham
- 3 tablespoons chopped slivered almonds
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, (optional)
- snipped fresh parsley or chives
In large saucepan, melt butter; sauté onion until tender.
Blend in flour; gradually add broth.
Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute.
Stir in rice, carrots, ham (or shredded chicken), almonds and salt; simmer about 5 minutes.
Blend in half-and-half and sherry; heat to serving temperature.
Garnish with snipped parsley or chives.
Tip: One-half cup uncooked wild rice = 1½ to 2 cups, cooked.
Running short on time? Pick up our frozen Wild Rice with Ham Soup, available in the frozen food department. Same great recipe, and it heats up in minutes!