Graduations, weddings, first communions, confirmations, baby showers, bridal showers… the list goes on and on. So many different occasions are celebrated perfectly with cake, and who doesn’t love a delicious cake?
We pride ourselves on our scrumptious cake and know that our cake is light-years better than our competition. We recently asked some of our seasoned bakery staff: “What makes our cake different from our competitors?” We dug down deep and came up with all the reasons why our cake is awesome!
The mix we use is exclusive to Lunds and Byerly’s. You will not find this mix in any other market.
- Oil –Provides a velvety smooth texture, adds moisture and crumb appeal. We use soybean oil, which has zero grams of trans fat.
- Eggs – Eggs provide proteins and protein is what gives our cake its volume, height, structure and contributes to crumb appeal. When we use egg whites or whole eggs (ultra pasteurized liquid eggs), the pasteurization process ensures the eggs we use are always consistent in protein content and far superior to even some fresh eggs, which can vary in size, therefore affecting the protein content.
- Flavorings & Extracts – They provide the perfect combination for a rich, deep flavor profile. We use natural and artificial vanilla extract and almond emulsion. In the right proportion the two flavors marry together perfectly. Too much almond will make it bitter, not enough vanilla and it will be bland.
This is the second piece to our signature cake line. This formula is also exclusive. It’s ours, we own it. So what makes it different?
- Shortening – We use a specialized cake icing shortening. Made specifically for icing, this shortening has 0 grams of trans fat. No hydrogenated oils here.
- Butter –
Salted butter is used in our buttercream, but not all butter is the same. The water content can vary from butter to butter. We make sure our butter has the correct ratio to provide us with a consistent finished product.
- Sugar – We use fondant sugar & Nuvert (an inverted sugar). As with all fondant sugars, ours has a small starch content to help keep clumping at a minimum. Nuvert is a liquid form of sugar. It is highly concentrated and helps provide a smooth texture and spreading ability.
- Vanilla – We use vanilla extract in our icing. The brand we use is Mother Murphy’s. They use a technique that is not always commonly found in the extract business. In their process, they grind the beans and submit them to their exclusive, highly specialized, 21-day cold extraction process. The result is a superior vanilla that can be used to enhance everything from baked goods to dairy products.
Key factors to consider about our cake
- It’s local and handmade! All cake is hand made, but we measure ingredients by hand and make smaller batches, resulting in a higher turnover of product that creates fresher product for our customers.
- We haven’t changed our cake sizes – it remains the same size it was 20 years ago.
- We haven’t cheapened our ingredients. Our standards of quality ingredients remain as they did decades ago.
Now you know why our cake is delicious, so come out and taste it for yourself!
May 19: All stores we will be conducting a cake taste test.
Come on in and try a piece of Lunds and Byerly’s cake compared to a local competitor. You’ll taste the difference right away!
Now through July 4: Grad cakes are on sale!
You can purchase a half-sheet graduation cake for the price of a quarter-sheet cake when you select our standard 2012 grad cake decoration, which was updated this year to reflect a more youthful, festive design. Click here to learn more.
For all your spring and summer parties, you want your guests to remember the fun they had and the delicious food they ate. This will certainly be the case if you chose Lunds and Byerly’s to provide your special occasion cake!
Amy Fouks, bakery category manager