Swedish Meat Balls
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2.5 pounds meat loaf mixture, ground beef, pork, and veal
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 2 cans beef broth, 10.5oz
- 1 cup whipping cream
Sure to become a favorite on your smorgasbord.
- In small skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon butter until soft.
- In large bowl, combine onion with next 10 ingredients. (Mixture is very soft). Shape into 1 1/2-inch balls; arrange on jelly-roll pan lightly sprayed with vegetable cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 400 F oven until cooked through and lightly browned (14-16 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet; stir in flour. Gradually whisk in beef broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Stir in whipping cream and 1/2 teaspoon dill weed; simmer 5 minutes. (Have gravy finished when meatballs come out of oven.)
- Scrape meatballs and browned bits into gravy; stir to combine. Spoon into 3-quart casserole. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Reheat in a preheated 325 F oven until heated through (40-50 minutes).
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.