Stir-Fried Spicy Asparagus
Wake up your taste buds with this fresh spring side dish! For less spiciness, remove seeds and ribs from the chili pepper before chopping.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
1 ½ pounds pencil-thin asparagus (can substitute larger asparagus, split lengthwise)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 Fresno chile or other fresh hot pepper, finely chopped
Large handful of basil, mint and cilantro leaves
- Snap off and discard the tough bottoms of each asparagus spear. Cut the asparagus into 2-inch lengths.
- In a wok or cast-iron skillet, heat the oil until nearly smoking. Add the asparagus, season generously with salt and pepper and stir well, making sure the asparagus is coated and glistening with oil.
- Continue to stir-fry over high heat for about 1 minute, until the asparagus looks bright green and barely cooked.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chile; stir-fry for 30 seconds more.
- Transfer to a serving platter and scatter leaves on top. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from New York Times