Roasted Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
- ½ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut into 1-inch wedges, fronds chopped and reserved
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup pecorino cheese, crumbled or grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 4 cups leafy greens, such as baby spinach, optional
Heat oven to 425F.
In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and arrange on a large rimmed baking sheet, skin side up.
In the same bowl, toss potatoes and fennel with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and arrange in an even layer around the chicken.
Roast until the chicken and potatoes are a deep, golden brown and the fennel is beginning to caramelize around the edges, about 35 to 45 minutes.
As chicken cooks, combine the vinegar, lemon zest and juice, mustard, garlic and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the remaining ¼ cup olive oil in a thin stream and stir in the pecorino. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest. Toss the fennel fronds and parsley with the roasted vegetables.
Divide the chicken and roasted vegetables among 4 plates. Serve with a handful of leafy greens if you like, and spoon the pecorino vinaigrette over everything.