Add a touch of elegance to your holiday celebration with these decadent
red velvet cookies topped with cream cheese frosting.
- 2¼ cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons
unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons
- 1½ teaspoons baking
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted
- ¼ cup vegetable
- 1 cup granulated
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon
juice or vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red gel
food coloring + 1 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese,
- ¼ cup butter,
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups powdered
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, cocoa powder,
cornstarch, baking powder and salt until well blended; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the
paddle attachment, whip butter, shortening and sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix
in egg, then mix in egg white, vanilla, lemon juice and food coloring.
- With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients
and mix just until combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours. Heat oven
to 375 F during last 10 minutes of chilling.
- Shape dough into about 3-tablespoon balls and transfer to
baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Evenly flatten balls with greased
hands to about ½ inch.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool
on baking sheet 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely then
frost with cream cheese frosting.
For the frosting:
In the bowl of an
electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip cream cheese and
butter until pale and fluffy. Mix in vanilla extract followed by powdered sugar
and blend until well combined and fluffy.
Amount: About 16 cookies
Recipe source: Cooking Classy