Red Velvet Snowballs
Add a touch of elegance to your holiday celebration with these decadent red velvet cookies topped with cream cheese frosting.
- 2¼ cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red gel food coloring + 1 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder and salt until well blended; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter, shortening and sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg, then mix in egg white, vanilla, lemon juice and food coloring.
- With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours. Heat oven to 375 F during last 10 minutes of chilling.
- Shape dough into about 3-tablespoon balls and transfer to baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Evenly flatten balls with greased hands to about ½ inch.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely then frost with cream cheese frosting.
For the frosting:
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy. Mix in vanilla extract followed by powdered sugar and blend until well combined and fluffy.
Amount: About 16 cookies
Recipe source: Cooking Classy