- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup quick pearled barley
- dash salt
- 1 1/2 pounds Lean ground beef
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 4 cans beef broth, fat removed, 14 1/2 ounce
- 1 can crushed tomatoes with added puree, 28 ounce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 package frozen Italian cut green beans, 9 ounce
- 1 package frozen baby whole carrots, 9 ounce
- 1 package fresh Italian parsley, chopped (about 1/4 cup), 1/2 ounce
- In large saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat; simmer, coverd, until tender (10-12 minutes). Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. In large 7-quart Dutch oven, saute ground beef, onion and garlic until browned; drain. Add next five ingredients; bring to a boil. Stir in barley, green beans and carrots. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with Italian parsley.
Tip: Barley can be cooked ahead and stored in refrigerator up to 1 week.