Quinoa Salad . . . Latin Style
Servings:*18 1/2 cup servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1.5 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1.5 cups diced zucchini
- 1(15oz) can gold 'n white whole kernel corn, drained
- 1(15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.25 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon White Pepper
- In very fine mesh strainer, thoroughly rinse quinoa with cold water; drain. Combine quinoa and 2 cups water in saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed and quinoa appears translucent (about 15 minutes); cool. Fluff with a fork. In large bowl, gently combine quinoa with next 5 ingredients. Whisk together juices, olive oil, salt, cumin and white pepper. Drizzle dressing over quinoa mixture; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, several hours, or overnight. Toss gently before serving.
Thoroughly rinsing quinoa removes any traces of saponin, a bitter substance that naturally coats the seeds.