- 1 unbaked pastry shell, 9-inch
- 3 Eggs
- 1 can pumpkin, (1 3/4 cup), 15 ounce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 can evaporated milk, 12 ounce
- whipped cream
"the classic pie like Grandmother made"
- Beat eggs slightly in mixing bowl, blend in remaining ingredients; pour into pastry shell. Bake in a preheated 450 F oven 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 F and continue baking until knife inserted in center comes out clean (about 45 minutes). Cool. Serve with a "dallop" of whipped cream.
Squash or Sweet Potato Pie:
Substitute equal amount of cooked, mashed squash or sweet potatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can squash or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen squash (thawed) or 1 (18 ounce) can drained, mashed sweet potatoes.
To prevent spills, fill pastry shell after placing on oven rack. Pour any remaining filling into custard cup and bake in a pan of water while pie is baking.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.