Poppy Seed Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup Butter
- 11/2 cups Sugar
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Combine and set aside the poppy seed, buttermilk, and almond extract.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add egg yolks.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add alternately with the buttermilk mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into mixture.
- Pour half the batter into a greased and floured bundt pan. Mix the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half of it on the batter. Pour the remaining batter into the pan; sprinkle with the rest of the sugar-cinnamon. Cut through the batter with a knife for a marble effect.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 - 60 minutes.
Recipe Adjustments for Poppy Seed Coffee Cake:
Select diet; follow recipe using substitutions below.
Reduced Sodium: No changes.
Reduced Cholesterol: Use margarine in place of butter. Use 1 cup Eggbeaters in place of eggs, and add after margarine and sugar is creamed. 0 mg cholesterol per serving.
Reduced Calorie: Use 1/2 cup butter. Use 3/4 cup sugar. Use only 1/4 cup sugar for sugar-cinnamon mixture. 201 calories per serving.
Diabetic Exchange (for original recipe): Not recommended.