Old-Fashioned Oyster Stew
- 1 pint fresh oysters, drained
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart whole milk
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan or top of double boiler; add oysters.
- Cook oysters about 3 - 5 minutes, until edges ruffle.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Heat thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper; serve piping hot.
- Reduced Sodium: Omit salt. Use unsalted margarine. 170 mg sodium per serving.
- Reduced Cholesterol: Use margarine in place of butter. Use skim milk and only 1 cup oysters. 28 mg cholesterol per serving.
- Reduced Calorie: Use 2 tablespoons margarine; use skim milk. 178 calories per serving.
- Diabetic Exchange (for original recipe): 3/4 milk exchange & 1 meat exchange & 3 fat exchanges per serving.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.