2 weeks ago
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
This crispy potato side dish is a nice alternative to cheesy potato casseroles – and it looks beautiful on the table, too. Tip: The thinner the potatoes are cut, the crispier they’ll become in the oven.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds russet potatoes
- 4 shallots, thickly sliced lengthwise
- Coarse salt
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 sprigs thyme
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and oil. Brush bottom of a 9-inch round baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- With a sharp knife or mandoline, slice potatoes very thinly crosswise.
- Arrange potato slices vertically in the baking dish. Wedge sliced shallots throughout. Sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes. Add thyme sprigs and brush with remaining butter mixture.
- Bake for 1 ¼ hours until potatoes are fork tender and crispy on top. Sprinkle with additional thyme to serve, if desired.