Low-ABV Berry Lemonade Cocktail
Full disclosure: When our intrepid taste tester sidled up to the counter and poured herself a glass of this hard berry lemonade, she had preconceived notions. She thought it was going to be simple and sweet, and boy oh boy was she (happily!) wrong. This drink is lemony, with complex undertones and an outsized amount of pucker. It’s super tart and refreshing and goes down easily, though not wantonly — it’s got surprising depth, almost like it has ice tea in it, which simultaneously adds to the complexity and the drinkability.
As refreshing as it is complex, this low-alcohol cocktail would be perfect at any warm-weather gathering or event, but here’s what we’re gonna do with it: Invite a few old friends over to the patio, make up a pitcher and share our long-held secrets.
8 to 10 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
750 milliliters amontillado sherry
1 cup blanco tequila
1 pint raspberries, for garnish
1 lemon, thinly sliced, for garnish
½ English cucumber, thinly sliced, for garnish
10 fresh mint leaves, for garnish
1 liter tonic water
- In a large pitcher or beverage dispenser, add the raspberry jam and salt.
- Slowly pour in the lemon juice, stirring constantly to incorporate the juice into the jam.
- Add the amontillado sherry and tequila, and stir to combine.
- Fill the pitcher halfway with ice and garnish with raspberries, lemon slices, cucumber slices and mint leaves.
- Top the pitcher off with the tonic water, stir to combine and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from: Punch Drink