Key Lime Pie
- 1 baked pie shell, cooled, 9-inch
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Water
- 3/4 cup Key West lime juice
- sweetened whipped cream or Meringue, (below)
A variation of a classic.
- In heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks. Gradually stir in water and lime juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil until thick (about 2 minutes). Pour into pie shell, cool. Top with sweetened whipped cream. Or, spoon meringue onto hot pie filling; spread over filling carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven until meringue is golden (10-15 minutes). Cool away from drafts. Refrigerate. Cut with damp knife.
- Meringue: In small mixer bowl, beat 3 egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar until foamy. Beat in 6 tablespoons sugar, a tablelspoon at a time, until stiff and glossy.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.