Grilled Ratatouille and Chicken
Ratatouille, a traditional French Provençal stewed vegetable dish, is a great way to use fresh garden veggies. Served with skewered herbed chicken, it makes a wonderful summer meal!
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, halved lengthwise, stemmed and seeded
- 1 small eggplant, cut into ½-inch thick rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ½-inch thick rounds
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 ¼ pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Heat grill to medium high.
Combine oil, basil, marjoram and salt in a small bowl and reserve 1 tablespoon of the mixture in another small bowl; set aside.
Coat both sides of bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, tomato and onion pieces with cooking spray or olive oil. Grill the veggies, turning once, until soft and charred in spots, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. As the veggies finish cooking, place them in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
Rub the tablespoon of reserved herb mixture on both sides of chicken and sprinkle with pepper.
Skewer the chicken and grill until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, transfer the grilled veggies to a cutting board and chop into 1-inch pieces. Return to the bowl and toss with vinegar and the remaining herb mixture. Serve the grilled chicken with the ratatouille.
Recipe source: Eating Well in Season, The Farmers’ Market Cookbook