Grilled Rainbow Veggies
Everything is a superfood in this easy dish! Tahini, a mighty superfood, adds a touch of healthy fat and protein. Great served as a side dish or a veggie appetizer platter.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
2 large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
1 red onion, skinned and cut in half
1 bunch rainbow carrots, all but 3 inches of green tops removed, cut in half lengthwise
2 red bell peppers, stems removed, seeded and cut lengthwise into 8 strips
2 zucchini, ends removed, cut lengthwise into ⅓-inch thick strips
2 yellow squash, ends removed, cut lengthwise into ⅓-inch thick strips
1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons tahini
½ organic lemon
Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Wash and prep veggies as instructed.
- Pour olive oil in small bowl. Spread veggies out on 2 sheet pans and brush both sides with olive oil.
- In batches, first grill portobello caps, carrots and red onion, as these take the longest, about 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove from grill once nicely charred and place back on the sheet pan to rest.
- Next, grill red pepper, zucchini and yellow squash, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Finally, grill asparagus, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Slice the portobello caps into ¼-inch slices. Slice the red onion into 1-inch pieces.
- Arrange all vegetables using your brilliant creativity. Drizzle with tahini and squeeze fresh lemon over all. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tip: To get nice grill marks, do not move the vegetables while they grill. Let them rest in one spot and check 1-2 sample pieces in different places on the grill to gauge doneness before turning.