Grilled Caesar Salad
If you’ve never grilled a salad — yep, the croutons, the lemons, the greens, the whole shebang — you’ve missed out. The grill adds extraordinary depth of flavor to each ingredient and transforms an ordinary salad into something truly memorable.
For our summery Grilled Caesar Salad, we tossed baguette slices, romaine leaves and lemon halves on the grill until they were perfectly charred. Then we topped the romaine leaves with the toasted croutons and lemon juice — and drizzled it all with L&B Caesar Dressing. If you want to add protein, try mixing in some pieces of rotisserie chicken. It’s an easy way to add more oomph to this salad, making it a filling lunch or a hearty, standalone dinner.
4 to 6 servings
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
6 tablespoons L&B Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
1 11-ounce L&B Classic French Baguette, cut into 1-inch slices
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lemon, halved
3 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
½ cup L&B Caesar Dressing
Flake salt, to taste
Parmesan, shaved, for garnish
- Heat a grill or grill pan to high heat and brush the grates with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- On a sheet pan, drizzle the baguette slices with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Flip, and oil and season the second side.
- On the grill, toast the baguette slices until slightly charred on the outside and soft in the center, 3 to 5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a cutting board to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the lemon halves, cut-side down, on the grill and cook for 3 minutes, until well charred. Transfer to a serving platter to cool.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high. Brush the romaine halves with the remaining extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill, cut-side down, for 2 to 3 minutes or until charred. Transfer to the serving platter.
- Cut the toasted baguette slices into bite-size pieces and scatter over the grilled romaine.
- Squeeze the charred lemon juice over the salad, to taste, and drizzle with the L&B Caesar Dressing. Season with flake salt and garnish with shaved Parmesan. Serve family style.