Chocolate Chia Custards with Fresh Fruit
This chocolate custard dessert is dairy free and contains chia seeds, a good source of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants and calcium.
Makes 2 (1 ½-cup) servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup chopped Medjool dates (approximately 7 dates)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened natural almond butter
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup organic fresh berries (such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or sliced strawberries)
1. Put all ingredients except for the chia seeds into a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute, until very smooth.
2. On the lowest setting of the blender (2 or 3 in a Vitamix), slowly add all the chia seeds until incorporated into the mixture.
3. Turn blender up to high and blend again for 1 minute, until very smooth.
4. Pour custard mixture into 2 individual serving dishes and top with ½ cup fresh fruit for each serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.