Chicken Florentine with Mushroom Sauce
- For the chicken and spinach:
- 2 teaspoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon melted butter, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts , (5 to 6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 ounce fontina cheese, shredded (¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- ⅛ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Roughly chopped parsley, for garnish
- For the mushroom sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ⅓ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ⅛ teaspoons white pepper
Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 7x11-inch glass baking dish with butter. Using a rolling pin, flatten the chicken breasts between waxed paper to ¼-inch thick.
In a small skillet, melt 2 teaspoons of butter. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the spinach, cheese, almonds and nutmeg until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
Divide the mixture in half and slightly mound each half in the buttered baking dish.
Place 1 chicken breast over each mound and brush with melted butter. Bake until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear, 30 to 35 minutes.
To make the mushroom sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add the mushrooms and sauté until all liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, stir together the instant bouillon and water. Stir the bouillon, lemon juice, heavy whipping cream, sherry and white pepper into the mushrooms.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is reduced to ⅔ cup and is slightly thickened, 7 to 9 minutes.
Using a wide spatula, place chicken and spinach on dinner plates. Spoon sauce over the chicken and garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!