Cheesy Baked Cavatappi
This cheesy baked pasta feeds a crowd! Great for family gatherings or cozy weeknight dinners with leftovers for lunch.
1 (16-ounce) package cavatappi pasta
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound Lunds & Byerlys Fresh All-Natural Italian Sausage Links, uncooked and cut into ½-inch pieces
2 cups chopped onion
2 (8-ounce) packages button mushrooms, quartered
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 (26-ounce) jars pasta sauce
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions until barely al dente. Drain.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and onion to skillet; sauté 10-12 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, herbs and salt. Cook until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated (about 10 minutes).
- Add pasta sauce and cream. Bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add pasta. Transfer to a 4-quart baking dish. May be refrigerated several hours or overnight.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes; remove cover and stir.
- Combine cheeses and parsley; sprinkle evenly over pasta.
- Continue baking, uncovered, until bubbly in center and cheese is melted (about 15