Caramel Pecan Stuffed French Toast
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt, divided
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3 Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1(24oz) loaf Lunds and Byerlys Challah Bread, cut into 12 slices
- 1(8oz) package honey nut cream cheese spread, softened
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- Spray 9x13-inch baking dish with no stick cooking spray. In small saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine sugar, butter, syrup and ¼ teaspoon salt; stir until all butter is melted. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Pour and spread mixture on bottom of prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with pecans. In another small saucepan cook apples, apple juice, brown sugar, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg over medium heat, stirring often until apples just begin to soften (6-8 minutes). Stir in cornstarch and continue stirring until thickened (about 1 minute). Remove from heat.
- Spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese spread on 6 slices of bread. Place bread, cream cheese side up, in a single layer over caramel pecan mixture. Evenly divide apple mixture over cream cheese layer. Cover with remaining bread slices. Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Gently pour over bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours, but no longer than 12 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F oven until brown and puffy (about 55 minutes). Remove from oven; cover with baking sheet and invert, scraping any extra caramel topping from baking dish onto toasts. Slice "sandwiches" diagonally and transfer to serving platter. Serve immediately.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.