Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
This creamy soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cool fall evening!
Preparation time: 55 minutes
2 tablespoons oil
4 cups peeled and seeded 1-inch chunks butternut squash
1 cup chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
1 cup peeled and chopped carrot
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon ground celery seed
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if desired
1 cup apple cider
Salt and black pepper to taste
L&B uncured bacon crumbled, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Add squash, leeks and carrot. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add apple, thyme and ground celery seed. Add broth and cider. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth.
- Add more chicken broth, if desired, to thin the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a simmer and serve hot. Garnish with cooked, crumbled bacon.