Brisket of Beef
- 1 (3 4 pound) beef brisket
- 3 ribs celery, cut-up
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 clove garlic for each 1/8 tsp, minced
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 carrots, cut-up
- 1 bay leaf
Long slow cooking to blend flavors.
- In heavy fry pan or Dutch oven, place brisket with just enough water to moisten. Add rest of ingredients. Bake, covered, in preheated 350 F oven until tender (3 to 4 hours). Remove from pan; slice at slight angle in thin slices across grain. Serve with Horseradish Sauce (below), mustard or horseradish.
- Horseradish Sauce: In medium saucepan, combine 1 (10 3/4 ounces) can cream of celery soup, 1/3 cup prepared horseradish, 1 tablespoon prepared mustard; heat thoroughly. Sprinkle with paprika.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.