The other day we had a thought: Wouldn’t banana bread be good if it came as a cookie, but it was still soft and smooshy like the original — and it was bursting with banana flavor AND it was vegan?
We set out to make the banana bread cookies of our dreams, and the result was everything we hoped for. These Banana Doodles are soft and chewy, with the same speckled appearance inside as banana bread. We added nutmeg and cinnamon to give them that familiar banana bread flavor, and we used coconut oil as a replacement for eggs. The coconut oil is vegan-friendly, so everyone in your household can enjoy these sweet treats.
Make sure the dough is chilled before baking so the cookies stay thick and crackly. And consider making a double batch straight out of the gate. These cookies were a hit in the test kitchen and were practically all gone before they had a chance to cool!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 to 7 minutes
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup coconut oil
¾ cup cane sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 ripe organic banana, mashed with a fork
¼ cup cane sugar
½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and ground nutmeg, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the coconut oil, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the banana and cream until well combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- For the topping: Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Scoop the batter into 2-tablespoon serving sizes, and roll them in the topping mixture. Spread the cookies out on the baking sheet and gently press to flatten them slightly. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly golden on the outside. Do not overbake. Cookies should be slightly underbaked in the center.
This recipe is brought to you by Nourish, our guide to eating a variety of whole foods that expand your palate, give you more energy and help you live a balanced life. If you love it, check out the entire Nourish collection.