Bacon & Leek Strata
- 10 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks white and light green parts only, sliced and rinsed well
- 5 cups French or whole grain bread, cubed
- 6 large Eggs
- 1¾ cups Milk
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 cup Havarti or Gruyére cheese
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease 9x13” baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside. In the same skillet, wipe out most of the excess bacon grease and add olive oil over medium heat
- Add leeks, season with salt and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Combine cooked bacon, leeks and bread, tossing to combine. Place in baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and salt. Pour over bread mixture. Top with cheese. At this point you can either bake it immediately or refrigerate 2 hours, or up to overnight.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes. If you refrigerated it overnight, you will likely need to add 10 minutes to the baking time. If the cheese starts to get too brown, cover with aluminum foil. Serve and enjoy!
- Recipe by: greens & chocolate | http://www.greensnchocolate.com/
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.