- pastry for 9-inch double crust pie
- 6-7 cups pared tart apples, thinly sliced, (Haralson, Granny Smith, Rome Beauty)
- 3/4-1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 3 tablespoon Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Combine sliced apples with mixture of sugar, flour, spices and salt. Fill pastry-lined pan, dot with butter and top with pastry; trim edge to about 1/2 inch over edge of pan. Press upper and lower edges together, gently fold edges under and press with tines of floured fork or flute edges. Brush top with a little milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake on lower rack in preheated 400 F oven until crust browns and juices begin to bubble through (40-50 minutes).
To Roll Out Pastry:
Divide dough in half; shape into 2 flat rounds on lightly floured cloth-covered board with lightly floured stockinette-covered pin. Bottom pastry should be 2 inches larger than inverted pan; transfer pastry to pan on rolling pin; trim along edge of pan. Roll out top pastry a little thinner to extend over pan 1 inch. Make a few slits for steam to escape.
French Apple Pie:
Fill pastry-lined pan with apple-sugar mixture; omit butter. Combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples and bake as above.