Apple Pie Squares
Servings:*12 (3x5-inch) squares
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese, (optional)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Milk, (to measure 2/3 cup with egg yolk)
- 10 cups thinly sliced, pared apples, (10 medium)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 cup coarsely crushed corn flakes
- 1 egg white
Apple pie...for the crowd.
- Combine flour, salt and shredded cheese into mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender. Toss flour mixture with liquid until all flour is moistened. Form into two balls, refrigerate covered. Toss apples with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Roll out one ball of dough to fit bottome and sides of a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan. Sprinkle cereal over crust. Spread with apple mixture. Roll out remaining dough; place over apples. Seal edges of crust; make slits on top with knife. Beat egg white until stiff; brush over crust. Bake in a preheated 375 F oven until golden brown (about 1 hour).
- To Roll Out Pastry: Shape ball of dough into flattened round on lightly floured cloth covered board. Roll out with floured stockinette-covered rolling pin about 1 inch larger than inverted pan. To place in pan, roll crust around rolling pin, unroll into pan.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.