Apple Harvest Cake with Caramel Sauce
A classic fall dessert from the original The Best of Byerly’s cookbook. Delicious spiced applesauce cake dotted with crunchy walnuts and topped with a rich caramel sauce.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 50-60 minutes, plus cooling time
1 (8-ounce) package chopped dates
½ cup apple juice
1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
¾ cup butter
2 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped walnuts
L&B Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream Topping, for serving
- In a small saucepan, combine dates and apple juice; bring to a boil. Cool.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in applesauce and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; gradually stir into applesauce mixture.
- Stir in date mixture and walnuts until well blended.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 12-cup Bundt cake pan. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (50-60 minutes).
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Invert onto wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- To serve: Drizzle warm L&B Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream Topping over each piece.