Appetizer idea: Cheese fondue
What better way to ring in the new year than with friends and fondue? This easy cheese fondue recipe comes together in minutes and is delicious served with bread cubes, fresh veggies, apple slices and Chenin Blanc.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1¼ cups thinly sliced shallots (about 6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ cups (or more) dry white wine
- 7 ounces grated Gruyère cheese (about 1¾ cups packed)
- 7 ounces grated Emmentaler cheese (about 1¾ cups packed)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- For dipping:
- 1 baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Fresh veggies
- Apple slices
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add thinly sliced shallots and sauté 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low; sprinkle shallots with sugar, salt and pepper. Sauté until shallots are caramelized, about 15 minutes. Transfer shallots to small bowl.
- Add 1½ cups wine to saucepan; boil 1 minute, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Toss cheese with flour in medium bowl to coat.
- Add half of caramelized shallots to wine; add cheese mixture by handfuls, stirring until cheese melts and is smooth before adding more. Thin with more wine if mixture is too thick. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Transfer cheese mixture to fondue pot. Top fondue with remaining caramelized shallots.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious