All American Cheese and Macaroni
- 16 ounce package dry cavatappi, or jumbo elbow macaroni
- 5 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 tablespoon Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
- 2 cups shredded Aged Cheddar cheese, (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup Japanese-style panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Butter or Margarine, melted
An old favorite with an upscale twist.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions until barely al dente. Drain. In small saucepan, bring milk to a simmer. Remove from heat. In large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Blend in flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly, until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute. Blend in mustard, salt, pepper and cheeses. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted. In large bowl, combine macaroni and sauce. Spoon into buttered 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Combine crumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F oven until light golden brown and bubbly (35-40 minutes). Serve immediately.
- Tip: May be served as an accompaniment to a meat entree. Spoon unbaked macaroni and cheese into individual ramekins. Top with crumbs. Bake as directed for 15-20 minutes.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.