- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In bowl combine onions, carrot, celery, fresh thyme and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Fill cavity of turkey with mixture.
- Tuck wings behind back. Using center of a five-foot length of heavy kitchen twine, tie the legs together at the ankles. Run the twine around the thighs and under the wings on both sides of the bird, pulling tightly. Keeping the twine pulled snug, tie a firm knot around the excess flesh at the neck of the bird. Cut off excess twine.
- Place turkey on a rack in open roasting pan breast side up.
- Combine remaining melted butter and dried herbs; brush turkey with mixture. Place a large piece of foil over the breast and wings.
- Roast according to instructions on wrapper of turkey. Baste occasionally with pan juices.
- One hour before turkey is done, remove the foil so the turkey will brown.
- The turkey is done when the internal temperature of thickest part of thigh reaches 180 F., about 2 3/4 hours to 3 1/4 hours. Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest 20 minutes before carving.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.