This is a terrific do-ahead recipe!
- Trim ends from beans.
- In large pot, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt, if desired, to a boil. Add beans; bring water back to boiling. Cook beans, uncovered, until crisp-tender (8-10 minutes). Plunge into cold water until beans are cold (3-4 minutes). Drain. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- To Serve: Remove beans from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Melt butter in Dutch oven or wok. Cook bell pepper over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in beans, cashews, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring and tossing gently, until heated through (6-8 minutes). Transfer to serving bowl or platter. Serve immediately.
- FoodE Tip: Three (16 ounce) packages frozen cut green beans can be substituted for fresh. Cook according to package directions; chill and continue as in recipe.
- Variation: Omit red bell pepper, cashews and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir ¼ teaspoon garlic salt into melted butter along with beans, lemon juice and pepper. Just before serving, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sesame seed.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.