Winter Breakfast Grain Bowl
- 2 tablespoons L&B Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons L&B Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- ¼ medium white onion, small diced
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 1 ½ cup water
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts
- 3 ½ ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 3 ½ ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 8 ounces L&B Fresh All-Natural Breakfast Sausage
- 4 large L&B Eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven, and heat the oven to 400 F.
In a medium pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté until softened, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the rosemary, orange zest and farro and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add broth and water, bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, until the farro is cooked through and the water has been absorbed.
Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and walnuts and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, add the mushrooms, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine. Add the seasoned mushrooms to the hot baking sheet, spread in an even layer and roast for 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the kale, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
After the mushrooms have roasted for 10 minutes, stir the mushrooms and push them to one side of the baking sheet. Spread the seasoned kale on the other side of the baking sheet, and roast for another 10 to 12 minutes or until the vegetables are browned. Set aside to cool.
In a medium nonstick skillet, cook the breakfast sausage over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, until well browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Transfer the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
Using the same skillet and remaining oil from the sausage, cook 4 eggs over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes to over-easy, or as desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide the farro mixture, mushrooms, kale, sausage, eggs and avocado between 4 bowls. Enjoy hot!