Whole Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables
- 1 (3 lbs) whole organic chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp 1 tsp California Olive Ranch Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp (divided) Lunds & Byerlys sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (divided) Black Pepper, fresh ground
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 4 cups red potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 cups leeks, washed, halved and cut into 1
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place chicken, breast side down, on a work surface. Starting at thigh end, cut along one side of backbone with kitchen shears. Turn chicken around; cut along other side. Discard or save backbone for stock. Flip chicken over and open it like a book. Press firmly on breastbone to flatten.
- Using your fingers, loosen skin from breast meat; tuck lemon slices under skin (optional). Rub 1 teaspoon olive oil all over the chicken. Season chicken with rosemary, crushed fennel seeds (use a knife or heavy pan to crush seeds), ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper.
- In a bowl, toss vegetables with 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper. Spread vegetables in an even layer on a roasting/baking sheet. Place a cooling rack on top of vegetables and place chicken, breast side up, on top of cooling rack.
- Roast chicken until juices run clear when pierced between breast and leg (an instant-read thermometer should read 165 degrees when inserted in thickest part of a thigh, avoiding bone), about 30-40 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before carving. Remove skin before eating. Squeeze with fresh lemon juice if desired before serving.
Optional ingredients: 2 lemon slices to tuck under chicken skin while roasting, lemon wedges for squeezing over chicken
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.