Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée for Two
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar (divided)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ⅛ teaspoons salt
- Additional granulated sugar, for caramelizing
- Heat oven to 300 F.
- In a small saucepan, add heavy cream and 3 tablespoons of sugar over medium-low heat.
- Bring the cream mixture to a light simmer (it will begin to steam) and then remove it from heat. Set aside and let cool.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar, vanilla bean paste and salt.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture, whisking to combine. Add another 2 tablespoons, whisking to combine. This will keep the eggs from scrambling from the warm cream.
- Add this tempered egg yolk mixture to the saucepan of cream, whisking continuously as you add it, and whisk until combined.
- Place two (6-8 ounce) ramekins in a baking dish. Divide crème brûlée mixture between the two ramekins. Fill the baking dish with water, about halfway up the crème brûlée dishes.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until just set. They will still be jiggly in the middle. Cool at room temperature for an hour and then place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or (preferably) overnight.
- Once ready to serve, top each ramekin with about 1 teaspoon of sugar. Melt the sugar with a crème brûlée torch, until golden brown. You can also do this under a broiler. Serve and enjoy!
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.