Twisted Pizza Breadsticks
Twin Cities food blogger greens & chocolate created a delicious and easy way to enjoy pizza flavors without having to make a whole pie. Enjoy!
In our house, any meal that revolves around pizza is a big hit. Whether we’re eating a pizza spaghetti casserole, pizza rolls or just some good ol’ delivery pizza, we have happy and full bellies. Now I can add another favorite to our list with this simple recipe!
These breadsticks make a fun dinner, snack or appetizer. They have all the classic pizza ingredients — dough, sauce, pepperoni, shredded mozzarella cheese and Italian spices — just arranged a little differently. The breadsticks are a delicious and unique way to enjoy the flavors of pizza, and they’re so easy the kids can help make them.
As with traditional pizza, this recipe can be modified based on your preferences. Instead of pepperoni, try some Italian sausage and peppers, mushrooms and onions, or keep it simple with only cheese. Truly, the possibilities are endless! One tip for success: Don’t overload the breadsticks with filling. Keep them light so they’re easy to twist.
Makes 8 breadsticks
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
1 13.8-ounce can refrigerated pizza crust
⅓ cup pizza sauce
¼ cup chopped pepperoni
⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the pizza crust from the packaging and place on a large cutting board or clean countertop. Roll it out a little so it’s a rectangle and even on each side. Cut the rectangle in half the long way.
- Spread the pizza sauce on one of the halves and then sprinkle with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
- Place the other half of the dough on top of the cheese and slice into 1-inch strips. Seal the ends of each strip using a fork to press the ends down into each other.
- Twist each breadstick twice and then place on the prepared baking sheet about 1-inch apart.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, oregano, basil, garlic powder and salt. Brush the butter mixture over each twisted breadstick.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with additional pizza sauce. Enjoy!