- For the mulled-wine syrup:
- 2 L&B Whole Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 star anise pods
- 8 cloves
- 8 allspice berries
- 16 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon L&B White Sesame Seeds
- 8 almonds
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Peel of 1 lemon
- Peel of 1 orange
- 10 raisins
- 750-milliliter bottle cabernet sauvignon
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- For the cocktail:
- 1 ½ ounces reposado tequila
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ ounce mulled-wine syrup, divided (see above)
- 1 egg white
- Club soda
To make the mulled-wine syrup: In a medium pot, add the cinnamon, star anise, cloves, allspice, peppercorns, sesame seeds and almonds and toast over medium-low heat until lightly fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the nutmeg, lemon peel, orange peel, raisins, wine and sugar. Bring to a boil for 15 minutes or until the syrup coats the back of a spoon. Allow the syrup to cool and then strain it into a jar with a lid. Refrigerate until chilled through, about 1 hour.
Thirty minutes before serving, put a coupe glass in the freezer to chill.
To make the cocktail: In a cocktail shaker, combine the tequila, lemon juice, ½ oz mulled-wine syrup and egg white. Dry shake without ice for about 15 seconds to combine the ingredients.
Fill your shaker with ice and shake for another 15 seconds to slightly chill.
Add the remaining ¼ oz mulled-wine syrup to the chilled coupe glass. Slowly strain the cocktail into the glass and top with club soda.
Recipe adapted from: Punch Drink