Turkey & Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
Our friend greens & chocolate shares her new go-to meal for busy days — it’s quick, healthy and comforting. Isn’t that just what we all need right now?
I don’t think there’s anyone who wouldn’t benefit from a quick and easy dinner recipe. We’re all busy and tired by the end of the day and we just want something that’s tasty and healthy to serve our family!
This Turkey Black Bean Enchilada Skillet is the solution to all of those nights when you think, “What the heck am I going to make tonight?!” Not only does it come together super quickly, it’s also truly a family-pleaser.
It starts with cooking red onion and ground turkey. More of a beef person? Use ground beef instead. Looking for a way to make this enchilada skillet even faster? Swap out the ground turkey for rotisserie chicken! It’s equally delicious and on your plate 10 minutes sooner. This recipe is very adaptable.
After the onion and meat are cooked, the rest of it comes together in a snap. The spices are added, along with diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black beans, corn and tortillas. The entire skillet is simmered for a few minutes and then you add cheese. I just mix the cheese right in, but if you’re cooking the meal in an ovenproof skillet, you can certainly broil the cheese on top.
I highly recommend topping this enchilada skillet with diced green onions and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Other ideas include diced avocado, cilantro, salsa and hot sauce.
As I mentioned, this dish was a big hit with the family, and since it was so easy I’ll surely be making it again and again!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ red onion, diced
1 pound ground turkey
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
15 ounces diced tomatoes with green chiles
20 ounces enchilada sauce
15 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn, frozen or canned
8 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped green onions and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until browned, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt and stir well to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black beans, corn and tortillas and mix well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a light simmer, sprinkle with cheese, stir and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the tortillas soften and the cheese melts.*
- Serve topped with green onions and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
*Note: if you cook this in an oven-proof skillet, you can also broil the cheese on top.