Tomatoes and Mozzarella with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh lemon balm, divided
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 2 large red tomatoes, (about 1 lbs per 2 tomatoes)
- 2 large yellow tomatoes, (about 1 lbs per 2 tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons basil, chiffonade
- Arrange mozzarella slices in a single layer in shallow dish. In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon balm, sugar, salt, mustard and garlic. Drizzle ¼ cup vinaigrette over cheese, turning slices to coat evenly. Refrigerate remaining vinaigrette and cheese, covered, several hours.
- To Serve: Let cheese and vinaigrette stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Slice tomatoes ¼-inch thick; arrange in large shallow serving dish, alternating red and yellow tomatoes and mozzarella. Drizzle with reserved vinaigrette; sprinkle with remaining lemon balm and basil chiffonade.
- FoodE Tip: Chiffonade (shihf-uh-NAHD) is a French term that refers to thin strips or shreds of vegetables or herbs. Make basil chiffonade by layering four or five leaves, largest on bottom, and rolling tightly like a cigar. Thinly slice across the leaves while holding the roll tightly; separate into strips.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.