Teriyaki Tempeh Pita
Whether or not you’re a vegetarian, eating regular meatless meals can be beneficial to your health. Tempeh, a soy-based meat alternative, is made from whole soy beans that are soaked, softened, cooked, slightly fermented and formed into a firm patty or
Preparation time: 2 hours 30 minutes, not including time to make Everything Sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) package Westsoy Original Tempeh, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Stonewall Kitchen Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Eden Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon California Olive Ranch Olive Oil
- 6 Joseph’s All Natural Pita Bread Pockets or 12 Joseph’s All Natural Mini Pita Bread Pockets
- ¼ cup Everything Sauce
- 1 ½ cups Lunds & Byerlys Sesame Kale Salad (available in our deli), chopped into small pieces
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
To prepare the tempeh:
- Cut tempeh in half across the width, then restack halves and cut in half across length, then cut length in fourths across the width. You should have 16 pieces.Place in a shallow dish. Whisk the brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, orange juice, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and olive oil together until combined. Pour over tempeh and gently distribute onto all tempeh pieces. Cover and marinate for 2 hours in refrigerator. Can be marinated overnight.
- Heat skillet on medium high. Spread tempeh out as single layer in the pan. Pour any remaining marinade over tempeh. Sauté for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden. Cool completely.
- To assemble the pita pockets, spread 2 teaspoons of Everything Sauce in pita. Fill each with 3 pieces tempeh, approximately 3 tablespoons Kale Salad and 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes.
Calories: 340 Total
Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 2.5g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 430mg Carbohydrate:
36g Fiber: 7g Sugars: 4g Protein: 18g
Nutrition content of
this recipe is calculated by a registered dietitian nutritionist. Due to
variations in ingredients and measurements, values are approximations.
Nutrients provided for this recipe represent values based on the best available
information. This information is not intended to treat or diagnose. Please
consult your physician for diet recommendations specific to your personal