Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Molten Chocolate Lava Cake for Two
A personal-sized dessert with a pinch of spice! Any oven-safe mug will work for this recipe, but
to make your mug cake extra special, pick up a Lunds & Byerlys Artisan Mug from our gift shop, made by Red Wing Stoneware. Manufactured along the Mississippi River in Red Wing, Minnesota, Red Wing
Stoneware has been a tradition since the mid 1800s and is cherished by collectors.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne or black pepper
- 3 tablespoons room temperature half & half
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 small room temperature egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- In an oven-safe mug, place flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir with fork until well combined.
- Add melted butter, cream, egg and vanilla, Mix well, making sure to incorporate all the flour from the bottom of the mug.
- Place chocolate pieces on top of batter in center of mug. Do not stir in or push down as chocolate pieces will sink as it bakes.
- Add water over batter and chocolate pieces.
- Place mug on small baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven when edges appear firm and center sticks slightly to your finger when touched.
- Cool for 5 minutes before eating. Serves 2.
Variations: Substitute mini semisweet chocolate chips, mini Reese’s Pieces, butterscotch or peanut butter chips for the chopped chocolate pieces.